Happy Friday to all you #IrishWhiskeyMonth party people! It’s finally spring in NYC and I’m so happy not to be wearing a million layers, and a jacket, and a hat, and gloves, and giant snow boots. To celebrate this change of season, I’ve made a Tiki Drink with Teeling Small Batch Whiskey.
If you wanna join the fun, use the hashtag #IrishWhiskeyMonth on Instagram and I’ll repost your photo! The only rule is that you have to include Irish Whiskey in your cocktail.
Hello dreamy umbrella, cherry & piña. You make me wanna swoop off to a tropical beach!
Here are your cast of characters:
- I wanted to put Teeling Small Batch with…
- Apricot Liqueur cause it’s warm and sunny out. #happiness
- I knew the Orange Flower and Almond notes in Orgeat Syrup would go well with Apricot.
- Lastly, Lemon Juice for acid, length, and to balance the sweetness.
This combination of flavors was also inspired by two classic cocktails: an Army & Navy and a Colonel Cocktail (1937 version: Whiskey, Apricot Liqueur, Grapefruit, Simple Syrup).
The name of the drink is an homage to the two cocktails mentioned above, except that the commanding officer in question is on holiday. The Captain has left the ship, is headed to a deserted island, and is on leave. Don’t call, he won’t pick up the phone.
The Captain’s Leave
- 1 3/4 oz Teeling Small Batch Irish Whiskey
- 1/4 oz Rothman and Winter Apricot Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Orgeat
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- Garnish: Tiki Umbrella, Pineapple Chunk, Maraschino Cherry
Combine ingredients over ice and shakity-shake-shake. Strain into double rocks glass over crushed ice. Garnish. Tiki time.
Suuuuuuper dreamy. Welcome to the weekend y’all! Have an excellent #IrishWhiskeyMonth!