Whuuuuut up y’all? Is everyone hot enough yet? Have you melted into a puddle and you’re just like, “gurrrrrl, give me a cold-fruity-summery cocktail?” Cause I for sure am!
Have you ever been to a Mexican or Cali-Mex restaurant and been like, “What is Sandia? It sounds so nice and looks so red and inviting!” It’s Watermelon juice or in this case, Watermelon puree and it’s mad delicious in cocktails.
- Cut a Watermelon into sections.
- Scoop the red flesh out and discard the seeds.
- Throw that tasty stuff into a blender and blend til it’s nice n fabulous.
- Das it.
Have I mentioned that Corralejo Reposado has been one of my fave tequilas for over a decade? It’s really Agave forward with a great balance of sandalwood, vanilla, fruitiness, and peppery spices. Yummm, y’all. Yum.
So I made this drink a few times and felt like I wanted a little heat to make the Sandia pop. Fortunately, Corralejo Reposado makes a hella good Jalapeño infusion.
Jalapeño infused Corralejo Reposado Tequila
- Cut a Jalapeño in half, keep the seeds.
- Drop it (seeds and all) into 500 ml of Corralejo Reposado and infuse in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Let it infuse for 30-45 mins. I tend to go 45 cause I like the heat!
- OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: remove seeds and put the Jalapeño back into the infusion for another hour. This way you get more fresh bell pepper type flavor in the Tequila.
To the Jalapeño infused Corralejo Repo and Sandia we add a bit of Cane Sugar Syrup, Lime Juice and a pinch of pink salt. I always like to put my salt directly in the drink because I think it brings out the vegetal and savory flavors from whatever Tequila I’m using.
Also…salt rims are a pain and get all over your face when you try to drink the cocktail. Blah!
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 oz* Jalapeño infused Corralejo Reposado Tequila
- 2 oz Sandia
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 1/4 oz Cane Sugar Syrup 2:1
- Pinch of Pink Salt
- Garnish: scored Pepino, aka Cucumber
Combine ingredients over cracked or crushed ice and short shake. Dump entire contents into double Rocks glass and garnish with Pepino.
*Depends on how spicy you want it!
Salud! May these hot times be quenched with loads of Tequila and Sandia!