So, as I mentioned the other day, the lovely people at 18.21 Bitters sent me a whole bunch of Shrub/Syrup/Bitters. LET ME TELL Y’ALL, I am LOVING 18.21 Bitters! These are so fun, so complex and lend themselves to creativity. Inspirational, I AM INSPIRED! With flavours like Lavender + Sea Salt Syrup and Charred Lime, Jalapeño + Peppercorn Syrup, WHO WOULDN’T BE INSPIRED?
Well, to put all of these products on display in one post would be too much, so I’m gonna split it up. This first post will have recipes for the Shrubs and Syrups and the second post will have recipes for the Bitters.
What I’ve got:
- Lavender + Sea Salt Syrup – Salt up front, Lavender second which makes for some excellent layered flavour!
- Charred Lime, Jalapeño + Peppercorn Syrup – Savory spice bonanza, hits you all at once! I died with happiness!
- Pumpkin Spice Shrub – I don’t care that Halloween and ThanxG are over, this shit is DELICIOUS!
- Blackberry Peppercorn Shrub – Honestly, good enough to drink alone with Club Soda. Fabulousness awaits!
And now, the cocktails.
Lavender + Sea Salt Syrup: I tasted it and my mind said, OLD TOM GIN! So I said yes, added some lemon and a bit of Cocchi Americano. You’re welcome.
A Weekend In Dover
- 2 1/2 oz Hayman’s Old Tom Gin
- 3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
- 1/2 oz 18.21 Bitters Lavender + Sea Salt Syrup
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- Lemon Peel
Combine ingredients in tin and shakity shake shake. Double strain into coupe, express Lemon peel and garnish.
Charred Lime, Jalapeño + Peppercorn Syrup: Honestly, I’d recommend first making a standard Margarita with this and THEN get creative. Like, when you get a new Rum, you make a Daiquiri and then you start experimenting. Ya know? It was a damn good Margarita btw.
- 1 1/4 oz Corralejo Añejo Tequila
- 3/4 oz Jalapeño infused Espolón Blanco Tequila
- 1/2 oz Punt e Mes
- 1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
- 1/2 oz 18.21 Bitters Charred Lime Jalapeño Peppercorn Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
Combine ingredients and stir over ice. Strain into double rocks glass. Add pinch of Salt as garnish.
Pumpkin Spice Shrub: Yes, it’s Pumpkin Pie in a glass but it’s also a Shrub so that nice bit of vinegar really makes for awesome sipping. Here’s a drink which combines all of our favourite Autumn/Winter flavours into one drink!
That Pumpkin Business
- 1 3/4 oz Rye
- 3/4 oz Laird’s Apple Brandy
- 1/2 oz Cynar
- 1/4 oz St Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 1 oz 18.21 Bitters Pumpkin Spice Shrub
- Maraschino Cherry
- Freshly grated Nutmeg
Combine ingredients in tin and shake over ice. Strain into double rocks glass over ice. Garnish with Cherry and freshly grated Nutmeg.
Blackberry + Peppercorn Shrub: Y’all the vinegar in this shrub is Balsamic Vinegar and ooooooh my, it is soooo yummy! This drink sort of follows my “try to make things that aren’t Jack n Coke but sort of remind the drinker that there is more to life than Jack n Coke” formula.
- 1 1/2 oz Bourbon
- 3/4 oz Averna Amaro
- 1 oz 18.21 Bitters Blackberry Shrub
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Maraschino Cherries
- Club soda
Combine ingredients in tin over ice and shake shake shake. Strain into Collins glass over ice. Top with Club Soda and garnish with Cherries.
Cheers to you all! I will be posting many more recipes with 18.21 Bitters Shrubs and Syrups so be on the lookout! This has been You’re So Kind, the part of the show where someone sends me some bottles and I talk about how great they are!