Alright y’all, today I’m pretty pumped to be talking about a Kickstarter project from Ethan + Ashe!
“WHUT GURL? Kickstarter? You’re talking to us about something that doesn’t exist yet?” Yeah y’all, I’m talking about Alkemista, an infusion kit for all of us home bartenders and it’s a pretty brilliant idea!
So what is Alkemista? It’s a bottle with an ultra fine filter built into it, you just add the booze, spices/herbs/citrus peels/etc and steep until it’s ready. Easy pea-sheezy.
Ethan & Ashe sent me a box with the following infusions:
- Cinnamon infused Starr Rum
- Black Denim spice infused Bourbon
- Basil infused Loft & Bear Vodka
All three bottles were pretty damn tasty, so I was like “Alright, I’m diggin this Alkemista idea. I shall put it into a Punch recipe!”
I decided to make some Spiced Apple Cider Punch and tried a couple of versions with the Black Denim Spice infused Bourbon and the Cinnamon infused Starrr Rum. Turns out both spirits worked awesomely, so I’ll give you the recipe.
To Make the Cider:
- 48 oz Apple Cider
- 5 tbsp mulling spices
- 1 cinnamon stick, 1 long orange peel, star anise, peppercorn, 1 split vanilla bean
- Put everything in a pot and let it heat on lowwwwww for around 2 hrs. Don’t let it boil, only simmer.
- Strain through a cheesecloth, bottle, and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Spiced Apple Cider Punch (for two)
- 6 oz Spiced Cider
- 1 oz Water
- 1 oz Ruby Port
- 1 oz Black Denim Spice infused Bourbon or Cinnamon infused Starrr Rum
- 1/4 tsp (2 Barspoons) Lemon Sherbet
- Garnish: freshly grated Nutmeg
Combine Cider, Water, Ruby Port, and Lemon Sherbet in a pot and heat over lowwwwww heat. You don’t want it to get anywhere near boiling, just warm it up. When the punch is hot, add the Spirits and stir.
Yummmmmmm. Feels like fall man.
Thanks to Ethan & Ashe for letting me be part of this awesome Alkemista Kickstarter campaign!