Happy St. Patrick’s Day y’all! Today I’ve got a very special cocktail with Teeling Whiskey. Gurrrrrl, “Why is it very special?” Well, I’ve been working on this recipe for a whole year and am finally feel ready to show it to you during Irish Whiskey Month 2016.
Speaking of which, if you wanna join the prrrrrty…use the hashtag #IrishWhiskeyMonth on Instagram and I’ll repost your photo! The only rule is that you have to include Irish Whiskey in your cocktail.
Stirrrrrrrr. Take a deep breath. Stirrrrrr again. Sigh with contentment. Rinse. Repeat.
So, “Home Bar Gurl, a whole year? what were you waiting for?” Glad you asked.
Last March, I was perusing Martin’s Index of Cocktails whilst hunting for Irish Whiskey recipes. I came across a recipe for the “Shamrock Cocktail” from 1917 which looked promising.
Shamrock Cocktail (Recipes for Mixed Drinks, 1917)
- 1 oz Irish Whiskey
- 1 oz Dry Vermouth
- 3 dashes Green Chartreuse
- 3 dashes Crème de Menthe
- Garnish: Olive
Stir over ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish.
Sounds pretty good right? I know this is a gimmicky holiday drink but it’s honestly tasty! That being said, I kept tinkering with the recipe throughout the year til I felt like it would stand up to our current palates. Like you could drink it whenever, wherever, during any time of the year and still be like, “yeaaaaaah man. That is an awesome drink!”
Cast of Characters:
- I kept the Irish Whiskey as the base ingredient and used Teeling Small Batch cause it plays so well with others.
- But then I felt like the drink needed a little more backbone and some extra botanicals. Hayman’s Old Tom Gin called to me and I said “yaasssss kween!”
- I swapped the Crème de Menthe for something more herbaceous and complex while still being minty: Branca Menta!
- I kept the Green Chartreuse for herbaceousness and the Dolin Dry cause y’all know that I luuuuuuuv Dolin Dry in anything.
Oh, and I kept the Olives as a garnish cause the brininess and vegetal qualities of cocktail Olives really do compliment this drink! I know it sounds weird but it tastes sooooo goooood!
- 1 1/2 oz Teeling Small Batch Irish Whiskey
- 3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
- 1/2 oz Hayman’s Old Tom Gin
- 2 tsp Branca Menta
- 1 tsp Green Chartreuse
- Garnish: Olives (however many you want!)
Combine ingredients over ice and stirrrrrrrrr. Strain into coupe and garnish.
Also, look at this vintage coupe! I just got it and I want to give a huge thanks to Duke’s Liquor Box for carrying such beautiful wares! Luv u!
May your St. Patrick’s Day be awesome and try not to get too crazy. Remember to drink in moderation, have tons of water, and don’t forget the Ibuprofen + Coconut Water!
Luv y’all in this Irish Whiskey Month!