If you want to share a tropical drink during the month of January, use the hashtag #TikiTheSnowAway on Instagram and Twitter, or tag u/homebargirl on reddit.
Around a week ago, Fernet Francisco posted a comment on my Instagram account that if I made any Tiki drinks with their Fernet, I should let them know about it. I actually had that thought way back in November but then totally forgot about it! Whoops.
So, to all my Bay Area Fernet drinking people, this drink is for you. A love letter from my expatriated heart to you and your obsession with all things Amari and all things excessive. May you have many big, boozy, fruity, Rum + Fernet drinks and may they all slap a smile on your face.
And to Fernet Francisco I say, “I love you, you beautiful thing, you.”
Here are the cast of characters for this totally over-the-top Tiki drink:
- Fernet Francisco: super minty and fresh tasting, with loads of herbaceousness. Tastes and smells like plants from the Bay Area which actually poses a challenge when creating a Tiki drink. Therefore, I put it with my two fave Rums
- Denizen Aged White & Merchant’s Reserve Rums: LORDT knows how I love these Rums. They’re dry, deep, fruity, funky, wonderful and provide an excellent foundation in a big Tiki drink. Oh and they go sooooooo well together as a split base.
- Orgeat + Cane Syrup + Lime + Grapefruit + Pineapple: a helluva lot of juice and sweetness right? This combo is a total Tiki knockout. No lie, try it. The supa-fresh mintiness in the Fernet Francisco was crying out for Grapefruit and Pineapple. I added Lime for length & tartness, Orgeat for creaminess, and Cane Syrup cause this is a blended drink.
Garnish Kween is back again with the Pineapple Spear Bunny Ears, Grapefruit Peel Rose wrapped, and speared around a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry. A fun straw is always welcome!
Frankie’s Tropical Holiday
- 1 oz Fernet Francisco
- 1 1/2 oz Denizen Aged White Rum
- 1 1/2 oz Denizen Merchant’s Reserve Rum
- 3/4 oz Orgeat
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 oz Red Grapefruit Juice
- 3/4 oz Pineapple Juice
- 3/4 oz Cane Sugar Syrup*
- Garnish: Pineapple Spear Bunny Ears, Luxardo Maraschino Cherry in Grapefruit peel Rose, plastic Sword
Combine ingredients and blend with ~6 oz Crushed Ice for 7 seconds. Pour, garnish and serve in 16 oz Tiki Mug.
*The amount of Cane Syrup depends on how sweet your Orgeat and Red Grapefruit Juice are. Increase or reduce accordingly.
Cheers to all y’all and may your Amari-Tiki be delicious!