Y’all, I’ve got a killer cask strength Whiskey from Barrell Bourbon for us today! I found out about them from a friend of a friend who suggested that I might be interested in their bourbon and hoooo boy, I’M SO INTO IT! If you note the photo above, I’m already 1/2 way through the bottle!
Each batch of Barrell Bourbon is sourced from Kentucky or Tennessee and bottled at cask strength. The vision of Barrell Bourbon is to provide a unique expression with every release and I can honestly say, I’ve never had a Bourbon like this! The mash bill for Batch 006 is 70% Corn, 26% Rye, and 4% malted Barley. It was aged for 8 years, 6 months in charred white oak barrels.
Barrell Bourbon Batch 006 Tasting notes:
- Color: deep honeyed Amber
- Nose: Initial notes of toasted nuts, buttery popcorn, summer wheat, and charred oak followed by caramel, strawberry, baked peach, minerals, dried vegetals, and baking spices.
- Palate: Really welcoming and super delicious. Notes of orange peel, apricot, peach, strawberry, buttery popcorn, wheat, charred oak, cinnamon, and dry stones.
Add water and the fruit notes really come out! More apricot. Lemon peel. Wow! Super fruity!
- Mouthfeel: at cask strength it’s hot but the heat dissipates quickly making for a smooth and very flavorful dram. Really wide and pleasant stone fruit and citrus notes dance on the tongue.
- Finish: really really lonnnnng finish with stone fruit, decadent popcorn, and cinnamon notes coming in waves.
I would highly recommend drinking this neat in a snifter, at least for the first few sips. Once you’ve experienced Barrell Bourbon at full strength, add a few drops of water and see how the bouquet just opens up! Such an incredible experience.
However, y’all know how I roll and I was dying to put all that fruity fun into a cocktail!
My first thought was “how can I make this Bourbon shine like the star it is? What cocktail could I put it in where it isn’t covered up by other ingredients?” MINT JULEP! Yes y’all, a Mint Julep with Barrell Bourbon and some Peach Nectar. OOOOOOH MAN!
Since we’re using more than just Bourbon and sugar for this Julep, I’d advise stirring things together ahead of time.
- 1 1/2 oz Barrell Bourbon batch 006
- 1/2 oz Peach Nectar
- 1 barspoon Rich Cane Syrup*
- 4-5 Mint Leaves
- Garnish: Mint sprig
Combine Barrell Bourbon, Peach Nectar, syrup and stir until they’ve combined nicely. Grab your Julep cup or Mule mug and muddle some mint into it. Add liquids, ice, and garnish with a big Mint sprig.
*If you have peaches and can make fresh Peach juice, you may want to omit the syrup.
Damnnnnn this drink is good. I mean, this Barrell Bourbon is so damn good that you don’t really have to do much to make a great cocktail with it. I will be making more drinks with it in the near future so stay tuned!
One thought on “Barrell Bourbon & the BB Julep”
Pingback: Five Great Jobs | Home Bar Girl